Why You Should Attend your High School Reunion
I attended my 10-year high school reunion this past weekend. Obviously I didn’t invent Post-Its or make it in a Trashy Magazine before the big day (I’m holding out for the 20-year reunion!) but I still managed to show my face.
I was surprised by how many of you told me you didn’t attend your reunion or weren’t planning on going to yours. I honestly didn’t think twice about signing up for it!
It’s not that I was super cool or really popular in high school. I was more that girl-next-door type of person, you know friendly with everyone but never on top of the trends or gossip. And thankfully I was never part of the gossip or at least I don’t think I was… I guess if I was the gossip I was too clueless to know about it!
Now I know there are many of you who want to nay say on reunions because you might hate the people you went to high school with, or it brings back bad memories, or you think no one will talk with you. Well for YOU I made this handy dandy list of 10 reasons you should attend your high school reunion:
1. You have accomplished stuff! Who cares if you don’t have a book deal in the works and haven’t starred in a reality tv show! I bet in the past 10 years you have done something pretty amazing. Yes, spending a god-forsaken amount on grad school does count for something.
2. You get to reminisce about all the stupid things you did back when life was so much simpler. Like choreograph dance moves to Madonna’s “Like a Prayer” and showcase them any chance you get. Oh wait I still do that…..
3. You are not waiting for some douchebag to ask you to a school dance anymore. Who will of course invite you last minute, but then change his mind and invite one of your friends instead because he obviously can’t make up his mind who he wants to bang more. Oh and by the way that’s a true story and I’m obviously still bitter.
PS – Said douchebag is not in this photo. I’m not sooo bitter I would plaster his face across the Internet.
4. You know how to do your hair and makeup. It might have taken you 28 years to figure out how to blow out your hair, or at least now you have money to buy $400 worth of product to harness that frizz. Believe me it looks better now.
5. You’re at the legal age to drink! Believe me the interactions go wayyy smoother once everyone’s drank half a bottle of wine.
6. Peach Schnapps will not be served. Nor will anything from your parents’ liquor cabinet, thankfully.
7. You won’t see these people all again for another 10 years. So if the night all goes to shit, who cares! It’s not like you have to sit next to them in algebra class tomorrow morning. Just don’t hook up with someone’s husband. That might follow you into the future.
None of these men became our husbands, a very good thing.
8. People tend to be pretty nice when you ask how they’ve been. Let’s be honest, we all like to talk about ourselves so having the opportunity to brag a little feels good. So go on and show off!
9. You get to see all the people you stalk on Facebook. We all know way too much about each other through Facebook, which you might think eliminates all the fun. But seeing and talking to people in person tops any online chat. Remember that.
10. You have the smarts to NOT sign up with Glamour Shots anymore.
Seriously I look like a drunk housewife ready to find myself a man 3x my age to buy me a pack of cigarettes.
Now go forth and meet up with those old high school friends of yours! And if all else fails just stalk the hell out of their Facebook account and Google old boyfriends while drinking wine alone in your apartment. I won’t judge as long as you don’t judge me for my bad hair and awful outfits.